The Calgary John Howard Society is a community-based charitable organization dedicated to reducing the incidence of crime and increasing community safety through preventative and restorative justice practices.
To accomplish these ends, we provide:
- Direct services to individuals at risk
- Advocacy for effective responses to crime and the individuals involved
- Education for youth and adults in the community
Our Vision Statement
- An informed community active in preventing crime.
Our Mission Statement
- Promoting positive change through humane, just, and informed responses to crime and its effects.
Our Core Values
- Every person has intrinsic worth and must be treated with dignity, equity, fairness and compassion.
- Every person has the right to live in a safe and peaceful society.
- Maintaining a safe and peaceful society through humane responses to crime is every person's responsibility.
- Every person has the right and the responsibility to be informed about the criminal justice system.
- Justice is best served through measures that resolve conflict, embrace diversity, and repair harm.
- Society has a unique responsibility to provide a positive developmental environment for youth.
Our Guiding Principles
- Crime prevention is best served through social development.
- Justice should be restorative.
- Individuals at risk of offending will have alternatives.
- Responses to crime will be community-focused.
- Communities will take ownership in crime prevention.
- The community will be informed about the criminal justice system.